Pages

Friday, May 28, 2010

Chicken Cordon Bleu

How it's supposed to Look:


So, today I had a spot of bad news. So I did the only thing I could do. Decided to cook. I decided to try something a bit more complicated then what I've made so far. Chicken Cordon Bleu a french dish. I personally have never had it before, but I figured, "why the hell not?" I loved France and I loved french food so why not.

Chicken Cordon Bleu: Recipe via allrecipes.com





How Mine Looks:




Ingredients

  • 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 6 slices Swiss cheese
  • 6 slices ham
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions

  1. Pound chicken breasts if they are too thick. Place a cheese and ham slice on each breast within 1/2 inch of the edges. Fold the edges of the chicken over the filling, and secure with toothpicks. Mix the flour and paprika in a small bowl, and coat the chicken pieces.
  2. Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and cook the chicken until browned on all sides. Add the wine and bouillon. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.
  3. Remove the toothpicks, and transfer the breasts to a warm platter. Blend the cornstarch with the cream in a small bowl, and whisk slowly into the skillet. Cook, stirring until thickened, and pour over the chicken. Serve warm.


Conclusion:

I really liked cooking this for many reasons. 1. It's french why would I not want to make something french. 2. I got to use wine, cooking wine it was really awesome, I felt like a chef, so I of course dropped it in the way I'd seen on TV, but alas it did not set the food on fire.

I didn't brown it as much as I would have liked, and so it didn't have that crispy look it should have. But it did taste very very good. I enjoyed it and so did my aunt. I also made paprika potatos and Asparagus. I'm pretty full, well full is an understatement, I felt like I would explode. Which is always good.

Cordon Bleu is rich and creamy. It's also a bit heavy. It taste like it's from France, which is my fave part. That you can eat something and know what it's from.

0 comments:

Post a Comment