Pages

Friday, August 20, 2010

Reliving the old childhood

The other day I was food shopping. There I was minding my own business when BAM! There it was, eggplant. Suddenly I was transported to Mrs. Rappaport's kindergarten class "E is for Eggplant." So without a recipe or knowing what the hell to do with an eggplant I picked it up and decided I would relive my youth.

How it should look:




Fried Eggplant with Shrimp

How mine looks:



Ingredients

* Flour (1 cup)
*Eggplant (I used about 1/4 of it)
* Black pepper
* Cajun seasoning
*Salt


Directions

Pare eggplant and cut in thin slices. Mix the black pepper, cajun seasoning and salt in with the flour. Dredge egg plant slices in flour, place in a small amount of hot oil to brown each side. Season with salt and pepper. Drain on paper towels.


Saute' Shrimp

Ingredients

*Shrimp (as much or as little as you want)
*Garlic powder
*cajun seasoning
*Adobo all purpose seasoning
*Onions

Directions
Cut up the onions and place it with olive oil in a non-stick frying pan. Use wooden (or anything besides metal) to mix it in the oil. Saute the shrimp in some vegetable oil, seasoning it with the garlic powder, cajun seasoning and adobo and letting it cook in.



Conclusion:

I've discovered that my childhood recollections of eggplant and what I did are not the same. I wish I could Mrs. Rappaport and ask her exactly how she prepared it for us all those years ago, because she did not fry them. I cut my eggplants like french fries and fried them pretty brown and while my sister loved them and ate what I could not, I am not a fan of the way it was prepared. Whether I'm not a fan of eggplant is yet to be decided. I still have 3/4 of the eggplant left, so I'm going to have to find a way to prepare it.

Also, after the failure that was my cajun shrimp, I was pretty proud of how my shrimp came out. It's the way I've been making shrimp for all this time and it still works. If you have some shrimps and only a few minutes, Saute it with garlic powder and other ingredients you may like.



My sister enjoying a eggplant fry

0 comments:

Post a Comment