Pages

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Chicken Vindaloo and Indian Style Rice

How it's supposed to look:


I made soo much of that South West Pasta Bake, that I was eating it for days. By Friday, I was like "nope you need something completely different." Choice? Indian food. I love chicken Vindaloo. When I go out for Indian food, it's like almost always what I order. LOVE IT! So why pay someone else to make it, when I can make it?





How Mine looks:


Chicken Vindaloo via epicurious

Ingredients


  • 3 cups chopped onions
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped seeded tomatoes (about 4 medium)
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
  • 1 large garlic clove, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
  • 1 teaspoon tomato paste
  • 1 teaspoon garam masala*
  • 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon (or more) cayenne pepper
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 6 skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1- to 1 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 1/2 cups low-salt chicken broth or water


Directions

Blend first 11 ingredients and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper in processor until paste forms. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add paste from processor and cook until golden, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Add chicken and potatoes; sauté 5 minutes. Add broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Uncover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes longer. Season with more cayenne, if desired, and salt and pepper.

*A spice mixture available at Indian markets, some specialty foods stores, and many supermarkets. To substitute, mix 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin, 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon; use 1 teaspoon of mixture.


Indian Style Basmati Rice via Allrecipes.com

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 (2 inch) piece cinnamon stick
  • 2 pods green cardamom
  • 2 whole cloves
  • 1 tablespoon cumin seed
  • 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
  • 2 1/2 cups water
  • 1 small onion, thinly sliced

Directions

  1. Place rice into a bowl with enough water to cover. Set aside to soak for 20 minutes.
  2. Heat the oil in a large pot or saucepan over medium heat. Add the cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, cloves, and cumin seed. Cook and stir for about a minute, then add the onion to the pot. Saute the onion until a rich golden brown, about 10 minutes. Drain the water from the rice, and stir into the pot. Cook and stir the rice for a few minutes, until lightly toasted. Add salt and water to the pot, and bring to a boil. Cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until all of the water has been absorbed. Let stand for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork before serving.

Conclusion

Well I did good. Not to toot my own horn, but making this was a battle. First I had to spend a crap load of money on getting the ingredients. Then, I couldn't find one of the ingredients so I had to go to a whole different supermarket, wait for someone to figure out what cardamom is and get it for me. Of course Whole Foods is also the king of long long lines. So I waited forever on the line, got up stairs and then got ready to cook, but guess what needed a blender. At this point the meet was already out, and all the other ingredients and I had it in my head that I was going to eat Indian food, so I went up to Kmart and got my self a pretty nice blender. I begin mixing and cooking and guess what! I do not have one of the ingredients. A spice that I looked dead at and said "do I need that? No" and walked away from. So back out and got the turmeric and began to cook. An hr and a half later, I had some amazing Vindaloo chicken and rice. (side note, I had jasmine rice in my kitchen and I was not going to spend money on buying bismati rice just for this recipe) Probably the best thing I have cooked so far... :-)

My Kitchen:


0 comments:

Post a Comment