Pages

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Chinese Garlic Chicken and Jamaican Style Rice

How it's supposed to look:



Making Sesame chicken made me wonder about my other fave chinese style chicken, garlic chicken. I looked it up, saw it was practically the same ingredients as sesame chicken and got to work.

How mine looks:





Garlic Chicken:

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons peanut oil
  • 15 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 3 tablespoons Shao-Hsing cooking wine or dry sherry
  • 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
  • 1 1/3 cups chicken stock

Directions

  1. Season chicken with salt and black pepper. Toss with flour until coated.
  2. Heat peanut oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat until it begins to smoke. Add chicken, and stir fry until the pieces are lightly browned on the outside, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn heat to medium and stir in whole garlic cloves; continue stir frying for 5 minutes.
  3. Turn heat to low, and add Shao-Hsing wine, soy sauce, and chicken stock. Cover, and simmer for 20 minutes until the chicken is tender. Remove garlic cloves before serving.

Jamaican Styled Rice:




Ingredients:
2 Cup Long Grain Rice
1 Cup Pigeon peas [optional]
1 Cup Red Kidney Beans [optional]
1 Medium Onion chopped
1 Cup Fresh Coconut milk
2 Cloves Garlic Minced
2 Teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive oil
1 Large Habanero Pepper
1 Pinch Of Ground Black Pepper
1 Pinch Of Table Salt

Directions:
When draining peas save liquid for dish. add to the coconut milk. with enough water to have 4 cups. In a large skillet or saucepan saute the onion, garlic, and Habanero pepper until there are tender but still crunchy. Add all the liquid along with rice, cover and simmer cook on low-medium heat for 30 minutes. All liquid will absorb and rice will be tender and fluffy. Gently fluff with fork.

Conclusion:

So here it is. I almost went blind cooking this meal. I couldn't find habanero Pepper's so I got jalpeno. There I am cutting and cutting and then I rubbed my eyes. Rubbed my eyes and a few minutes later the burn began. I ran to the bathroom, and stuck my head under the facucate. Nothing happened. I couldn't open my eyes for a good 5-10 minutes and I thought that I my life was over, but it wasn't. I freaked out on my roommate, freaked out on my friend and then freaked out on my mother. Who laughed and sagely told me to open my eyes, take the burn and let my natural tears wash it out. Luckily. she was right. At that point, it was a case of honor. I had to keep my dignity and continue to make the rice. It was very good.

0 comments:

Post a Comment