Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sausage Fried Rice

I woke up yesterday morning and just wanted food. I wanted Caribbean Food, then I want breakfast foods, then I wanted Sausages. I did some research and came upon this recipe at AllRecipes.com .

How it's supposed to look:


 

Ingredients- servings 8 ppl

  • 1 pound ground pork sausage
  • 5 eggs, beaten
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/2 head cabbage, cored and shredded
  • 3 carrots, chopped
  • 6 cups cooked white rice, cold
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce, or to taste
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can bean sprouts, drained
  • 1 (6 ounce) package frozen green peas, thawed
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • 3 green onions, chopped

Directions:

  1. In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook the sausage until evenly browned. Drain, and remove sausage from the pan. In the same pan, using the remaining coating of grease from the sausage, scramble the eggs, stirring frequently until cooked through. Set aside.
  2. Heat the oil in a very large skillet or electric skillet over medium-high heat. Stir fry the cabbage and carrots just until the cabbage has wilted. Add the cold rice, and fry, stirring so that there are no clumps. Mix in the sausage and pour in some soy sauce. Stir in bean sprouts, peas, and eggs, mixing well so there are no big chunks of egg. Season with pepper, and stir in green onions just before removing from the heat. Adjust soy sauce to taste, and serve. 

 How mine looks:









Conclusion:

I got to the supermarket and realized that I'm not a huge fan of bean sprouts, peas or cabbage, so I did some substituting. I bought Asparagus, red & green jalapenos,  green pepper, and broccoli.  I cooked the eggs and sausages, turkey, as specified in the recipe. From there I improvised, I sauteed the broccolli and asapargus in the pan with some black pepper sprinkled liberally through out. Then I added the pepper, jalapenos, onion and garlic to the pan. 
I cooked that until good then lowered the fire. Added in the rice and the sausages.  I sprinkled in some of the soy sauce. Then I added in the eggs. From my prior foray in cooking fried rice, I knew that i liked a teaspoon of sugar and a teaspoon of cumin. It just makes the meal a little bit more delicious. 
After my failure with the Indian food, I was really pleased with how well this meal went. I can actually cook, good to know.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment